- Why Do Plants Bend Towards Light? - May 2, 2023
- Leggy Seedlings – Is This Fixable? - April 25, 2023
- Photoperiod - April 22, 2023
Hey there! Are you interested in growing your own produce indoors without soil, pumps, and motors, but don’t know where to start? The Kraky Method might just be the solution you’ve been looking for.
If you are new to this blog my name is Ashley and I am a soil scientist. I am located in a Canadian Zone 3 and a USDA Zone 4. I write articles, make YouTube videos, Instagram & Facebook posts all designed for Canadians and Cold Climate gardeners using science-based methods. If you are looking for anything specific be sure to let me know in the comments down below.
What is Kraky
Developed by Kraky Hydroponics, the Kraky Method is a hydroponic growing system that allows you to cultivate a variety of crops in the comfort of your own home. But what exactly is hydroponics, you ask? It’s a method of growing plants without soil, using a nutrient-rich water solution instead.
What do you need to set up the Kratky method?
With the Kraky Method, you’ll have everything you need to create the perfect growing environment for your plants. The system includes:
- A coco or peat pod to germinate the seedlings
- A container that is a minimum of 7 Litres to minimize fill-ups.
- A hydroponic all-purpose fertilizer
- A way to test and adjust the pH of the water and nutrient solution,
- A source of light.
Why Does This Method Work?
One of the best things about the Kraky Method is its ability to control the growing environment. By using a grow tent or grow room, you can regulate factors like temperature, humidity, and lighting to create optimal conditions for your plants. This means you can enjoy homegrown produce all year round, no matter the weather or season.
But the benefits don’t stop there. The Kraky Method is also super efficient. Since the plants are grown in a controlled environment, they are less prone to pests and diseases, which means you’ll need fewer pesticides and chemicals. Plus, the nutrient solution can be carefully balanced to give your plants exactly what they need to thrive, leading to faster growth and higher yields.
The number one reason for its effectiveness comes down to the fact that the nutrients is available to the plant in a bioavailable format. This continual access to nutrients is key to ensuring healthy and rapid growth in the plant.
So, what do you need to get started with the Kraky Method? Here’s a quick rundown:
- Choose a location for your hydroponic system. It should be in a well-ventilated.
- Start your seeds in the coco and peat pods. Wait for the plant to have at least two true leaves or the roots to pop out the bottom.
- Fill the nutrient solution tank with water and add the appropriate nutrients according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. The nutrient solution should be carefully balanced to provide the lettuce plants with all the necessary nutrients for growth. Make sure to pH balance.
- Place your lettuce plants in the grow medium and suspend their roots in the nutrient solution. Make sure the plants are spaced far enough apart to allow for proper growth. The container you choose has to be a minimum of 7L per plant and can be as simple as an old protein powder container like what I showed in my YouTube video.
- Install a source of light above the plants. Lettuce plants require plenty of light to grow, so it is important to provide sufficient artificial light. LED or fluorescent lights are good options for hydroponic systems. The other option is window sill growing if you have enough light.
- Monitor the growing environment regularly to ensure that the temperature, humidity, and nutrient levels are all within the proper range. Make any necessary adjustments as needed.
- Harvest your lettuce plants when they are fully grown and enjoy the delicious, homegrown results!
The Kraky Method is a reliable and efficient way to grow your own produce indoors in a controlled environment. With the right setup and proper care, you can successfully cultivate a wide variety of crops using this method. Give it a try and see the delicious, homegrown results for yourself!