It is possible to maintain the carrots’ freshness for an extended period of time by storing them in sand.
If you are new to this blog my name is Ashley and I am a soil scientist. I am located in a Canadian Zone 3 and a USDA Zone 4. I write articles, make YouTube videos, Instagram & Facebook posts all designed for Canadians and Cold Climate gardeners using science-based methods. If you are looking for anything specific be sure to let me know in the comments down below.
When preserving carrots in sand, there are a few processes that need to be followed:
- When your carrots have reached their full maturity, you should harvest them. This indicates that they should have a firm texture and be a vibrant orange colour.
- You should start by removing any dirt or debris from your carrots, then sorting them and washing them well.
- Carrots should have their green tops removed, but approximately an inch of the stem should be left intact.
- After you have washed and trimmed the carrots, be sure to thoroughly dry them.
- Either get a container that has a lid that can be closed securely, or use a large plastic bag. Sand that is sterile and dry should be placed inside the container or bag.
- Put the carrots in the bag or container that contains the sand, and make sure that the sand completely covers all of the carrots.
- Put the container or bag into a location that is low in temperature, has low light, and high humidity. Carrots should be kept in an environment with a humidity level of 85-90% and a temperature of 32-38 degrees Fahrenheit (0-3 degrees Celsius).
- Routinely inspect both the carrots and the sand for any indications of rotting or other types of damage. Take out any carrots that have gone bad so that the rest of the batch is not tainted, and top over the container with additional dry sand as needed to ensure that the carrots are always covered.
It is essential to keep in mind that the sand should be clean, dry, and devoid of any particles; in addition, you should replace the sand whenever it becomes muddy or wet. Additionally, it is essential to perform routine inspections on the carrots in order to determine the state of their freshness and remove any that are not in optimal condition.