If you are swimming in garden tomatoes and looking for a tasty tomato sauce recipe then look no further! Let’s just get to the recipe.
- 6-8 pounds of ripe garden tomatoes
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: herbs such as basil or oregano
- Rinse and core the tomatoes, then cut them into small chunks.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic and sauté until they are soft and translucent.
- Add the tomatoes to the pot and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until the tomatoes are very soft.
- Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to puree the sauce until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper, and any additional herbs you like.
- Can your sauce follow the instructions of the canner you are using, or if you want you can store it in the refrigerator for up to one week or in the freezer for up to six months.
The total number of jars this fills will be based on how long you allow the mixture to boil for. When I am looking for a more flavourful batch of sauce I will allow everything to simmer for up to 24 hours in an electric roaster.